Award

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Foothills Brewing IPA of the Month May 2014 (Maya Bonita)


Springtime is here and so are all the spring beers. I really enjoyed Foothills Brewing’s last IPA of the month April it was good. So I though I would wait for their next month in the series. I loved how foothills showcased a single hop and really profiled the flavors of the individual hop. Here is the next month in the series of IPA of the Month, May (Maya Bonita), 6.4% ABV and 69 IBU. This month Foothills is using the rare Azacca hop, and pilsner malt backbone. Foothills say this beer drinks like a day at the beach. So a summery taste topical beer I guess. Well let’s find out! May pours a light hazy orange/dark yellowish color with three and a half fingers of fluffy white head that has stick around for a while. The aroma is tropical with nice pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and some papaya. There is a very faint hop grassy note there as well. The taste is much like the aroma, sweet and tropical. I found they're to be a nice pineapple, orange, sweeter grapefruit and nice papaya with some light bitter hops grassy earthy notes. Sweeter than I was expecting for an IPA and not as bitter as some IPA are. I did get a nice pilsner malt backbone as described on the side of the label, which really balances this beer out well. The mouth feel is Simi-light to almost medium, and has nice sweet and bitter finish with a nice aftertaste of tropical fruit and a touch of a hoppy earthy note. I really like this beer as well as the IPA of the Month series. May gets an A+, this is better than April, but April is still a good beer as well. This beer is near perfectly balanced and has a nice drinkability to it that makes it great for warmer weather, and yes it does drink like a day at the beach. I did think about the beach a bit while drinking May. I highly recommend Foothills Brewing IPA of the Month May. It’s a great IPA. So go out and try Foothills Brewing IPA of the Month May 2014 and see what you think. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment