Award

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Belgium Dig Pale Ale



Well for quit some time now I have been seeing New Belgium’s spring seasonal, Dig Pale Ale, 5.6% ABV. But have not tried it till now. This pale ale has been around for around two or three year but I am not totally sure on that. New Belgium uses Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, and Cascade hops in Dig. So New Belgium claims you should get incredible lemon aroma, burst of passion fruit, mango, peach, and notes of grapefruity citrus. But that is what they claim and put on the side of the label. Dig pours a light brown to a medium/ semi dark amber color with a two and quarter finger of white head that stays nicely and fades into good lacing. I could not see much light coming through and I could barely see carbonation bubbles. The aroma of this pale ale is hoppy with a light lemon aroma but nothing along the lines of incredible, but it was good nonetheless. I did find a faint mango there but it was there then gone in a flash. The taste on Dig is nice amount of citrusy grapefruit up front with a nice sweetness in the middle but just enough to cut bit of the bitter grapefruit, then towards the end there is a nice hop bitterness that linger just a bit. I don’t get any peach or mango. The mouth feel is medium and the aftertaste is hoppy with grapefruit and there I didn’t get a very faint passion fruit. The hoppy aftertaste on dig does stay for a little while. Overall this beer is good but not a solid good, but close. I will give this a B. Nothing wrong with this beer. I just didn’t get everything the side of the label claimed, but what I did get was good. Would I have this again? Yes but there is some pale ale I would choose over this that is just slightly beer (21st Amendment’s Bitter American is one). I don’t dislike this one; it just didn’t blow my taste buds or me away and wow my socks off.  So yeah I would recommend this to a craft beer drink or a somewhat of a new craft beer drinker. So go and try this one and see if you like it! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment