Award

Sunday, May 24, 2015

French Broad Brewing Company Gateway Kolsch Style Ale


Find and trying new breweries/beers much fun in my opinion. You can’t always drink the same beer all your life. I have found a local North Carolina brewery French Broad Brewing Co. located in Asheville, NC. This is Gateway Kolsch Style Ale, 5.3% ABV and 32.3 IBU. Kolsch is specialty ale brewed in Cologne Germany. This is a traditional style. Gateway pours a bright yellow color with a clean two and a half white head. I found there to be a lot of light streaming through the glass with plenty of carbonation bubble rushing to the head. The aroma on Gateway is breaded and biscuit like. It has a clean aroma to it. The taste is smooth with a subtle bready/biscuit sweetness that kind of slowly rolls on to your taste buds. It becomes a little bitter as it passes and hits the back of your mouth. The best way to describe the flavor on this Kolsch is thin at best.  But as this beer warms a bit the sweetness subsides and the bitterness comes out. The mouth feel is light, with a faintly bitter but somewhat sweet finish. The after taste is less sweet then the first sip and the little bready flavor fades quickly. I do like Kolsch ales but this was not as good as I was hopping it would be. I would say this a D+ at best. All of Gateways flavors were thin and unexciting. I will that French Broad Gateway Kolsch Style Ale is drinkable. But that is the one good think it has going for it. This was not what I was hoping for. I wouldn’t have this again, nor would I recommend trying French Broad Gateway Kolsch Style Ale. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!     

No comments:

Post a Comment