Award

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Olde Hickory Death By Hops India Pale Ale

India Pale Ales are more and more popular everyday and there are more brewing brewing different verities of IPAs. I am not a big fan of IPAs but I a like them a little more and more. I have here a local IPA, Olde Hickory Death By Hops, 7.0% ABV with 108 IBUs. Olde Hickory Brewery is local is Hickory North Carolina which is one hour north of Charlotte. Death By Hops is a west coast style brewed in the southeast with 7.5 grams of hops per pint. Select west coast hops are used but I could not really find out which in particular are used in this. DBH pours a copper color with big four and half finger fluffy white heat that never really wants to fade and leaves thick lacing behind. The aroma is strong with a hoppy, earthy, bitterness that overwhelms your nostrils. I found there to be decent light coming through the glass in between nice herds of carbonation bubbles. The taste is strong with a hoppy piney earthy bitterness but not as strong tasting as the bottle says it is but it’s up there in strength. You get a strong bitter grapefruit in the front and middle of the mouth but then it fades on the back into a smooth pine note. The mouth feel is light but not to light. I know that is not what you’d think for an IPA with an IBU of 108 but it’s nice. The finish on DBH is smooth for an IPA like this, and there is nice faint strong grapefruit note. The after taste is of strong sticky grapefruit with touches of earthy notes that linger on the tongue. Olde Hickory Brewing Death By Hops really surprised me with how good it tasted eventhough I am not a big fan of the IPA style. I did like this one even with 108 IBUs. So with that said I give DBH an A. I recommend that you try Olde Hickory Death By Hops. It surprised me! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment