Award

Monday, February 24, 2014

Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale



You shouldn’t always believe in what you hear, read and/or see, because sometimes the way some things really are can get lost in the hype, and just aren't true. The same can be said about beers. I have been seen on the Internet and various social media sites a new Wells beer. (Wells or Wells and Young is an English brewer from Bedford, UK, famous for their Banana Bread Ale) Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale, 5.0% ABV has been showing up frequently with some fan fair. This ale is based on the Great British pudding according to the bottle. Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is a seasonal beer, released around Christmas time each year. Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale Pours a deep copper/brown color with a one finger beige head that quickly bubbles away leaving behind no traces of lacing. I could not see any light through this, but I did find the littlest amount of carbonation. The aroma is sweet form a generous amount of sticky toffee. The aroma was reminiscent of sweet soda. The taste on Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is a little more carbonated for this ale with sweet toffee flavors and hints of caramel. I thought that Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale was like a light version of a cream soda and not much like ale. The mouth feel is light to barely medium and has a sweet carbonated finish and the after taste filled caramel toffee and that light cream soda flavor that kind of lingers on your tongue. I really don’t see the hype of this beer. I find it to be just plain and just not as good its made out to be. Wells does a wonderful job with their very tasty Banana Bread Beer, but I think they missed on Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale. Once I got close to finishing a bottle I felt like I wasn’t really drinking a beer, and that I need to have a something that was way more like a beer. So I think Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale get a D-. The idea for Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale sounds good on paper but doesn’t translate to a good tasting beer. I don’t recommend this Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale if you’re looking for a sweeter beer, but if you like cream soda sure you could try it. It’s a good thing this comes only once a year. I think Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale could handle being around for the rest of the year, it would get lonely sitting on the shelf. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment