Award

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Brewery Ommegang Rare Vos Amber Ale


Once again I, The best Beer Blog found it’s way to yet another Belgian-style beer. This is Brewery Ommegang (part of Duvel) Rare Vos Amber Ale, 6.5% ABV. Rare Vos is an Amber ale style that is popular in Belgian cafés and is named after a café just outside of Brussels: De Rare Vos, or “The Sly Fox”, hence the fox on the label. Rare Vos is brewed with sweet orange peel, grains of paradise, and coriander. This beer is good by itself or with mussels, fries and other pub food. Rare Vos pours a bright copper-amber hue with a big three finger creamy white head that sticks around for a while. The aroma is spiced with orange peels, a grainy aroma with a nice subtle sweetness. The taste on Rare Vos is sweet and orangey with a spice note in there and hints of malt flavors. I like the way this tastes but not enough to have more than probably two or three. The mouthfeel is mellow with a nice fruity finish and a nice spiced orange that fades into a subtle sweetness that doesn’t linger for too long. I enjoyed this but like I said earlier this is good up until the third because the flavor is a bit bold and would be too much after a few. This Ommegang Rare Vos Amber ale is getting a B here. Not a bad beer but it gets to be too much after a while like I said. This isn’t the worst thing ever. It is a good beer, don’t get that wrong. I only had this one Rare Vos. But I am basing my opinion on how the flavor tasted by the end. It was slowly beginning to be a bit much for me by then. But it was not enough for me to stop at one. I could’ve had another, and I recommend you trying Brewery Ommegang Rare Vos Amber Ale. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment