Award

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Left Hand Fade to Black Vol. Five


Breweries sometimes brew a certain beer each year that is different each time but may have some similarities. This beer is Left Hand Brewing Fade to Black Vol. Five, 7.8% ABV. This version of Fade to Black is a dark (black) rye beer. Some call this style of beer American Black Ale. Fade to Black Vol. Five pours a somewhat thick black color with ruby beige color with a quarter finger of quickly fading head that leave little wimpy lacing. I found no light coming through nor did I find carbonation bubbles. The aroma on this ale is slightly dominated by a black licorice scent with a very faint spice note. I also found some chocolate and earthy pine note but they were faint at best. The taste on Fade to Black Vol. Five is slightly bitter at first, kind of like a black licorice bitterness followed by a light chocolate and an earthy bitterness. The mouth feel is medium to slightly heavy and has a bitter fuller finish. Fade to Black Vol. Five’s after taste is faintly semi sweet with a little spicy bitterness. I found this not as well as I was hoping it would be. So I would give this a C-. I wouldn’t have this again. Overall I though it was to bitter and not enough of the rye was coming through, and should’ve had a touch more sweetness. It was so unbalanced; I just think it needs to have just few more of touches of rye and some sweetness to really make this well-balanced black ale. Go out and try this and see if you agree or disagree with me and form your own opinion. So I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment