Award

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

DuClaw Brewing Co. Sweet Baby Jesus! Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter


American Porter is inspired from the English Porters. American brewers have taken this style to new levels. Whether its high hopping the brew, using smoked malts, or adding coffee or chocolate to complement the burnt flavor associated with this style. Some are even barrel aged in bourbon or whisky barrels. The hop bitterness is quit wide but most are just easy drinking session porters as well. This is beer, Sweet Baby Jesus! Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, 6.5% ABV from DuClaw Brewing Co. in Baltimore Maryland.  Sweet Baby Jesus! pours are dark black color with brown edges and a two-finger tan/beige head that dissipated kind of slowly and leaves behind decent lacing. I found no light coming through nor could I see any signs of carbonation bubbles. The aroma is of  big peanuts and Reese’s Pieces. I thought the aroma was quite good. This Duclaw’s taste is chocolaty upfront then a bit peanut/peanut buttery in the middle then fades into a slight burnt bitter flavor on the end. The mouth feel is full and rich with a nice peanut/peanut buttery finish that leads to a nice peanut buttery after taste that fades slowly until another sip. Sweet Baby Jesus is an interesting porter, but I found it to be okay, C+ here. I find it taste not as good as it sounds or as it smells but not terrible though. I like it but not as good as it sounded nor as good as I though I was going too. I was thinking the mough feel was going to real heavy and it would have more peanut butter to this than chocolate. I would recommend that you try Sweet Baby Jesus from Duclaw Brewing Co. Just don't set your hopes to high. It's good just not that good nor great. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment