Award

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Starr Hill Brewery Northern Lights India Pale Ale


I have been getting into more IPA’s in few years and at first I wasn’t really into them but the more I try the more I start to like them. Some I enjoy better than some and some I don’t enjoy. But that is true with most beer. This IPA here is Starr Hill Northern Lights India Pale Ale, 6.5% ABV and 52 IBUs (International Bittering Units) from Charlottesville Virginia. This is another beer delivered by Brewpublik (www.brewpublik.com). Northern Lights uses Cascade, Willamette, and Columbus hops with Two Row, Caramel, Munich, and Wheat malts. Northern Lights pours an orange sunset color with a one and a half finger white head. The head dissipates quickly leaving nothing behind. I found there to be some light coming through the glass with decent carbonation bubbles. The aroma on Northern Lights is bitter with earthy hop notes and hints of oranges. The taste isn’t far off from it’s own aroma and the bitters is low. I found it to have a slight piney earthy flavor to it with some oranges along side. I don’t get any other fruit notes on this, but I did get a little light grassy not in the middle and the back. Northern Lights is much easier to drink than some IPAs I’ve had. The mouth feel is medium and has a nice light bitter finish. The after taste is bitter but nothing face wrecking with a light earthy orange flavor. Northern Lights is pretty good so I say it a C+. I like the way it easier to drink them some IPAs. The IBU isn’t very high and it’s not overly bitter in your face. That is good. But I was looking for more the common fruity flavors that you might find in a good IPA, but I found none. Not to say that it makes this a trash or bad beer. It’s good but not great. I did enjoy this and I might have this again. So go and try Starr Hill Brewery Northern Lights India pale Ale. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment