Award

Monday, October 1, 2012

Mother Earth Dark Cloud


It has been a bit of a crazy, but fun week around my house, this past week with my brother's family came into town for his birthday. But I am here now with yet another beer review. This is another North Carolina brew, from Kinston, North Carolina, and Mother Earth Brewing. This is their Munich-style Dunkel Lager, Dark Cloud 5.10% ABV. This is the second time having this. First was during a beer tasting I gave this past week. This is a dark German lager. Dark Cloud pours a dark brown color with a rocky whitish two finger head, and very very little light was come through, hazy in the glass. The aroma on this is very malty and sweet with nice bread notes, faint coffee scents too but more of a lighter roast coffee. There was a very very faint raisin smell there too but it's almost not existent. This Dark Cloud has a nice aroma overall The taste on the Dark Cloud is malt forward, yeah lots of malts, but not overly malty and yes it's a bit sweet to semi-sweet. this has a lot of mouthfeel on this, you really get that nice malt flavor all over the mouth. I did find a somewhat of a coffee taste here, but none too strong like a stout or porter. There is a very faint somewhat of bitterness to the very end but was okay. But that doesn't take anything away from the overall flavors of this Dunkel. The aftertaste is still malty but a little less, still good and sweet yet bready. There is no bitterness, but the sweetness does get a bit stronger in the aftertaste. Nothing overly sweet, but good none the less. I find the aftertaste a half tick better than the first taste still great. This beer is not heavy or thick, but it is a drinkable, sessionable and a good beer to have more than once. Overall I give this a B, just for the fact that I found a very tiny bitterness within the great malted flavor. I like this one, it is well done, well brewed and I will be looking forward to having his again, maybe if I have them again and again I will maybe become a B+. I think it could become better with me over time may be a short time. The bitterness was just a half-point off for me, but nothing that made me gives this fine Dunkel any lower of a  grade or pour it out. I like it very much and glad it's an N.C. beer. Try this! Cheer! Please enjoy responsibly!  

No comments:

Post a Comment