Award

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Nøgne ø Holy Smoke


I read in Men’s Journal magazine that smoke beer is becoming more popular. This style of beer is otherwise known as rauchbeir, or smoked lager.  It’s basically a lager beer smoked. This style originated in Bamberg Germany. But this beer isn’t from that part of the world. This one gene ø Holy Smoke, 6.0% ABV, comes from Grimstas, Norway.  Most of gene’s beers come in a 1 pint .9 fluid ounce bottle. This beer was created after a local man won a Norwegian home brewers championship. So the brewery decided to brew his beer. Holy smoke, and most smoke beer use pilsner malts, smoked malts and German lager yeast. The do use hops in this, but the type depends on the brewery choice. Holy smoke pours a very dark brown color with a finger and a half tan, almost brown head. The head does stay for a little while until it fades into good lacing. No light or carbonation on this. This beer is pretty dark so I really couldn’t see any light or bubbles.  The aroma on Holy Smoke is nice and smoky like I’d expect it to be but lighter than some. I did get a little lager scent there as well. But mostly I got a smoky scent. The taste is lightly smoky with a hint of bitterness but nothing off putting. There is a very tiny lager taste there but I was really searching for that. The mouth feel is full, smoky, a little silky and smooth. This does finish nice and leaves a good smoky taste in your mouth. The aftertaste is smoky with a little bitterness on the back of your mouth. Holy smoke does stay with you a little with its smoke flavor. I was thinking that this was going to have a stronger smoke flavor notes on this. But it didn’t. So I am giving this a B-. I was thinking this was going to be like drinking good barbeque. It has a lighter smokiness and a little bitterness. It’s good, but the Germans are better like Schlenkerla. That is the best in my opinion. I wouldn’t turn Holy Smoke down, and yes I might have this again. It’s good, just not the best. Good effort from nøgne ø. So please try this and see what you think of this craft beer from Norway. Cheers! Please enjoy responsible!

No comments:

Post a Comment